Friday, February 17, 2017

11.2#6


Hello professor Taylor, 
I am sending you the picture of my work for problem 6 of 11.2 webwork.  I have simpliefed the expression after using polar coordinates but I don't know what next after there!  Need your help!

Thanks, 



















***************************************
What you do after is think this way:  
"Well, now I am taking the limit of a function that is the product of two factors, and some junk that depends on θ.  The factor is interesting because it just measures how far (x,y) is from (0,0), and since (x,y)-->(0,0) that means that the limit of r is just zero.  At the same time, the junk involving θ, although it doesn't really have a limit, it is staying bounded above and below: since -1 ≤ cos(θ) ≤ 1 and -1 ≤ sin(θ) ≤ 1 we get   
-10 ≤ cos^3(θ) + 9 sin^3(θ) ≤ 10.
This means that  -10 r ≤ r(cos^3(θ) + 9 sin^3(θ) )≤ 10 r.   Since both 10 r and -10 r have zero as a limit, the limit of my function must be zero too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment